Saturday 28 May 2016

Kajiken Ramen

The weather has been really difficult lately. I'm literally soaked in sweat every other day that I don't use carriage. So it'll probably come as little surprise that I am ill this week. The cure to illness is best done through good food (talk about greedy excuses) and thus I decided to seek remedy at the first Mazesoba Dry Ramen stall in Singapore.

Surprisingly there's no queue. Not that the place was empty, it's full house but there's only 1 or 2 people in the line and the turnover rate was fairly decent. Kajiken Ramen is the newest edition to the line of ramen restaurants at Tanjong Pagar. If you ask me, I feel that this space is getting crowded out and people are just moving from one craze to another. Keisuke Tonkotsu King which is walking distance away doesn't have a queue now. I recalled that I had to wait at least 45mins when they first opened. 


We tried the classic Mazesoba Nagoya Style ($12.80) which comes with ramen, spicy minced meat, vegetables and a soft boiled egg. It's really good! The dish isn't very oily for a dry ramen and the spicy minced meat provided a tangy taste that goes well with the rest of the ingredients. The meal comes with a small cup of soup broth which is really good on its own. Perhaps if they come up with a soup version with the broth I'll be keen to try it too. Vain Pot and I reached a consensus that ramen for all its worth are generally the same if we compared the popular ones. The key difference is really whether you like dry or soup, what kind of broth and the type of ingredients. 

I'll come back here for my dry ramen fix particularly because there's not much queue on weekends and the quality is really good for dry ramen. In my view it's an inexpensive way to treat yourself. 

Kajiken Ramen
#01-07 Orchid Hotel
1 Tras Link
(The parking at Orchid Hotel isn't wallet friendly so it'll be advisable to park elsewhere)