Saturday 28 January 2017

Guksu Restaurant

Happy Chinese New Year everyone! Today is 初一. What am I doing in front of the computer?! I've done my rounds earlier today feasting on everyone's pineapple tarts and trying to convince myself that the $23.20 I paid for my "Best Pineapple Tarts in Singapore" is worth it. Mentioned I bought Kele Pineapple Tarts last week. After my first round of tasting, it appears to be! Kele is less overwhemling in taste and the pastry and pineapple strike a better balance.


I paid Guksu Restaurant a visit sometime last week to satisfying my craving for Korean Jeongol. Met Fat Fat who works nearby and she very kindly gave me a treat. Aptly for her name, we agreed next round of meet up we should exercise instead of eat.


The Budae Jjigae ($39.90) which we settled for is suitable for 2-3 pax. The set comes with instant noodles, luncheon meat, pork ham, chicken sausage, kimchi, bean curd, and golden mushrooms soaked in chicken broth. The original menu is beef broth but we managed to get it changed. Generally, in this weather where it rains almost everyday, it's a very suitable hot stew to warm you up. If you are going to ask me how much more special is Guksu's processed food compared with other places, I honestly will tell you it's pretty much the same. I find this more in terms of comfort food rather than because it's prepared in a far superior way to others.


One highlight of the set is the complimentary 2 piece chicken the set comes with. Guksu Restaurant is known for pretty awesome Korean Chicken according to research. Do note that the chicken doesn't come cheap. Fat Fat (who can't take spicy food) very cleverly chose the spicy flavoured chicken which taste awesome. The chicken is fried till crispy and the sauce is fiery spicy which can make the chicken very addictive if you like spicy food. I didn't list any prices this time round because Fat Fat gave me a treat and I forgot what was listed on the menu.

Will I be back? Yes! I will be back next round to try the other version of korean chicken which I have a very good impression of. There's original and soy sauce left to be tried. I can probably find comparable stews elsewhere but it's not so easy to find equally awesome korean chicken. Most places are over-hyped.  This is a perfect place for your korean fix when you are in the heart of town and want easy access to mrt and parking (love the parking at Suntec).

Guksu Restaurant
#02-385, Suntec City Convention Mall, 3 Temasek Boulevard