Saturday 23 April 2016

Dazzling Cafe

This weekend is pretty much a lazy and sinful weekend. No exercising unless shopping count and lots of fattening food. The original plan was to go cycling before eating, however I got a big fat blister after my maiden ice skating attempt. So injury has put me on the sidelines for a few days. What I love about my hobby is rain or shine, injury or not, I still can enjoy what I do. Injured still must eat right?


Dazzling cafe is a place I wanted to go since last month. I kept putting it off because Vain Pot insist that Shibuya Toast (the signature dessert of Dazzling Cafe) is fattening and doesn't look appetizing enough. Even today, I had to drag her to accompany me to try. Ironically, she is the dessert person and I am not. 



As usual, I typically do not have high hopes for pastas in Singapore cafes. To me, the popular brunch type of cafes typically serve average pastas and you know how bad it is if I usually go to O'Coffee Club to feast on the Slipper Lobster Linguine if I wish to have pasta and coffee. So imagine my pleasant surprise when the pastas today made the grade. I chose Mentaiko Spaghetti in Cream Sauce ($18.90) largely because of the positive reviews online. The cod roe white wine cream sauce was really rich in flavour and even though the dish is pretty much naked of ingredients you won't feel tired slurping on the pasta. I felt the seaweed flakes that comes with the dish gives a well balanced variety. 

Vain Pot selected Scallop and Crabmeat Spaghetti Aglio Olio ($18.90) which when it came made me regretful of my choice immediately. I have a soft spot for pastas and this one carried an aroma that made me crave to eat it even before taking pictures. The pasta was cooked al dente and richly infused with olive oil. The spiciness was just right and the scallop and crabmeat added to the wonderful mix. In fact, I feel so regretful it's almost certain I'm coming back just to eat it. 


Last but not least, it's the main event. We chose Hazelnut Chocolate Toast ($19.60) based on the recommendation of the attending waitress. This is basically a type of Shibuya Toast which is made up of small toasted bread cubes and topped with a layer of cream and ice cream. Take it as another version of waffle with ice cream. Service was good at Dazzling Cafe, where the waitress politely informed us that she will help us cut the toast after we are done photo-taking. I felt that the dessert was very refreshing but is missing the wow factor. After eating it, my first reaction was 'I don't get the fuss over this'. The toast was crispy yet not burnt and generous in portion. The gigantic layer of white you see in the photo is cream and the ice cream was but a small little scoop at the tip of the toast. While I felt that the dessert is really so-so, I'm drawn to the colorful and Instagram worthy pictures I can take of this place. 

Will I come back here? Yes, I wish to try more of their pastas. As for the toast, I'll only be back when I'm short of pictures on Instagram. 

Dazzling Cafe
#01-85, 15 Stamford Road, Capitol Piazza 
(There's another outlet at Orchard Gateway but this feels like the less crowded one)